Constructed by the Pullman-Standard Corporation in 1960 as part of a twenty-five car order for the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, it was delivered from the builder in kit form with final assembly taking place at the railroadâs own shops in Topeka, KS. In addition to four sliding doors, two on each side, and one smaller door on each end, it was one of ten cars in the order that had the capability of the entire end opening on one side for better interior access and loading. Assigned No. 3997, it was operated on the railroadâs long-distance trains out of Chicago, destined for points west, carrying passenger baggage, parcels, and decent amounts of mail.
In 1971, the car was included in Santa Feâs transfer of all passenger operations to Amtrak. Renumbered to No. 1096, it would continue to be used in regular revenue service until the purchase of new equipment several years later. It was then repurposed as a maintenance of way storage car and renumbered to No. 17072.
In 1994, Iron Horse Enterprises, a company specializing in mainline steam excursions, acquired the car and refurbished it for use behind former Chesapeake & Ohio Railway 4-8-4 No. 614. This work included the addition of many new windows along both sides of the car, from which the panes could be removed for an instant transformation into a semi-open air car. Renumbered as No. 001, and given the name Sound & Fury, for the next few years, the car could often be found directly behind the steam locomotive on excursions, allowing passengers to record both excellent video and sound of a true American classic at work.
In 1999, Sound & Fury was acquired by the NHRR, becoming the youngest passenger car in the fleet, a title that it still holds today. Renumbered back to No. 1096, it has seen several uses since arriving in Bucks County, including open car, food service area for dinner trains, and even as a mobile dance floor during weddings. It has also been No. 40âs official tool car during offline excursions in recent years. Currently, it serves as material and supply storage in support of the railroadâs extensive passenger excursion schedule.